Monday, October 31, 2011

Dear Rob


Rob,

I remember the first time you came out to the camp for your ‘interview’. You were so excited – you reminded me of a little boy looking in the window of a pet store. From the first time you interacted with us your authentic spirit was evident. There was a humility about you that welcomed people to you in an unassuming and caring way. As we were on the doorstep of having a new leader take over the camp we were, naturally, attempting to discern the type of leader you may potentially be. We had been slipped some of the information about your background and it seemed the impossible list of characteristics the board had laid out would be achieved, should you be hired and yet the humility and compassion you faced us with made the possibility seem too good to be true. I knew from the first moment you were meant to be here.

You returned to us the middle of the second last week of summer. I loved that you sought all of us out right off the bat. I was supervising Desert Island with the Sojourn crew and you joined me on the lawn. You came to me in compassion and concern as you had learned that you would be moving into my house, leaving me looking for a new roof to put over my head. I meant it when I said I wasn’t bitter; that I knew God had a plan in it and when I saw how you interacted with the community and guests of the camp, both in the summer and the time afterwards, I was even more sure that you were supposed to be there on site.

It was obvious that you had genuine love for those you interacted with. You were always willing to set aside what you were doing to focus on the people or person you were with like they were the only one in the world at the moment and there was no place else you’d rather be. I experienced it myself and saw it when you were interacting with staff, CLTDs and campers alike. The experience of being in your presence left people feeling more confident, loved and inspired for the love you faced them with. Jesus, I am sure, welcomed you home with, “Well done good, and faithful servant. You were my heart to all you met.”

I wonder if teens camp was so very inspired in part because you were present? You lived as if you had one foot in heaven and it shone through you! I remember one day in particular we were in worship and the Spirit was moving in intense ways. I couldn’t even sing, I felt so moved just to stand and pray over the room and the people present. As I stood there, arms raised, praying with everything I had, I felt hands grasp my shoulders and I knew I was being held up and supported in my prayers. When the music had stopped and I closed my prayers I turned around and you wrapped you arms around me and told me you loved me. In most situations after knowing someone such a short amount of time this would seem odd, but I knew you meant it. I knew you could see the me of me and that it was celebrated by you. You never passed by an opportunity to encourage people. It was written in every email you send and every message you left.

Your willingness to dive into all aspects of this community really meant the world to us all. A community is built on the shared stories, traditions and experiences. Around here it means laughing together, crying together and being ridiculous together. You did it all! You cherished the stories of God moments as well as the ones of humor and silliness. Being willing to join in on such silliness as the possum party and leg waxing braided you in with us.

As you came into leadership you did so gently, desiring to know both the people and the heart of the camp in order to walk with us and not to take it over. You were not afraid to make necessary changes but did so after you understood the situations, reasons and emotions behind it. It was terribly honoring. Your vision for the camp and your excitement for what we were doing and what we could become were contagious and there was more passion in this place than we have seen in a long time. I know it will continue. You left a legacy, that’s for sure!

In the days following summer I was struggling to get my feet about me and it was hard to be out at the camp after moving. You were always willing to listen and cry with me. As I was saying at the staff gathering on Thanksgiving, you were the type of person people couldn’t not tell their secrets to. I was free to share with you the pull between what I knew was truth and what I was feeling and walking through and you’d listen without telling me I was crazy. You listened to me as I laid out a ridiculous situation I was navigating that I, myself, would label as foolish had it not been me walking it! You supported me and prayed with me through it and continued to ask about it whenever we sat to connect. You offered me a place to come and set down my pack. I didn’t have to impress you, you simply asked me to come as I was, in whatever brokenness or struggle I was in. When I confessed the depth of my struggle you genuinely cared and had concern for me and not what it might mean to my ability to achieve results. I have always been a rather stubborn, independent person who tends to walk through struggles alone. You could see through that and wouldn’t let me continue without support. It meant everything to me when you said you were going to were going to hold me accountable to really caring for myself; that I had to because I had worth at the camp – and to you completely outside of the CLTD program or anything else I might take on. Though that is one of those things people are just expected to know, I really needed to hear it and I hold it close as I continue to navigate rough waters. You could see people’s hearts through whatever the momentary problem might be and would respond to that, rather than simply attempting to fix the surface issue. That is a rare thing!

How is the camp different because you joined us for the time you did? We have more hope and passion for where we can go and how we can get there. You motivated the staff team in their personal journeys to ‘get out of the boat’ and to live their lives today and now for Christ. Their excitement to chase after their calling was renewed from hearing you speak just that one time. You honored the entire team by how you interacted with us and how you were willing to join in on the silliness, showing us all how encouraging a leader could be.

I think the biggest thing you did, though, was inspire us. You inspired us to love each other deeper, to see people as Christ would. You inspired us to see the possibilities that are out there and the things that God could do through us and with us. You were excited and wanted to do the work that would be needed to achieve that greatness.

I know you were not perfect and while we celebrate all that you were to us, I know that there were areas that you struggled with as well. We weren’t together long enough to see many of your faults and the ones we have pale in comparison to all that you did so well.

How am I different? I am so honored to have had just a little time with you. Your style of leadership is commendable and I hope that I can lead with the compassion, love and genuine excitement that you modeled. Your encouragement stretched further than you’ll ever know and while I was a confident person when I met you, to be honored and embraced as I was through my both my successes and more so, my struggles built that confidence even stronger. To be around you was to be inspired and encouraged and that I was. And, though you are not here to check up on me, I will work to take care of myself and trust that you would be calling me on it if I don’t.


How are things going to change now that you’ve left us? Well, we all are aware that you left behind might shoes to fill. We are aware what we want in a leader and though we are looking for someone that matches all you brought the best we can, we have to respect the leader God brings us for whom he or she is and not who they aren’t. We need to take the passion and excitement you fanned the flames of and allow it to burn and spread to others. We will move forward knowing that you are still encouraging us to chase after God’s path, to dream big and be willing to see outside the box as to how to achieve what we feel called to.

It is so honoring to hear just how much being here at camp meant to you. Your family has told us that you were happier than you had been in a long time. We are so very honored that we were the ones who got to share your last days with you. I have no idea what we did to deserve that but I promise, we are better people for having known you, however brief!

When I watched the video of your memorial, I was moved to tears when the speaker shared the story of your dog tag. I had it made for you and had the privilege of ‘tagging’ you at your initiation. I heard you disappeared into your office right afterwards to call home and share your joy with your family who hadn’t accompanied you out, telling them about the dog tag and that you were never going to take it off. While there was consideration of leaving it with you, I feel it is the right place – with your family whom we always considered members of ours.

Today was your ‘mini memorial’ out at the camp. We wanted to come together within the community you were so excited to be a part of and share stories you would have celebrated with us. We were so happy to have your sisters there with us! I know I have used the word many times but I was truly honored to speak today. I know your strong hands were again on my shoulders and I know you would have been there, smiling at me encouraging me on through it.

Thank you, Rob, for everything. Thank you for the passion. Thank you for the laughter. Thank you for sharing the tears. Thank you most of all for the love for through it you allowed Christ to shine. We will never forget you, Horton!

Your honored friend,

Shelley

No comments: